Chapter One: On the collision course
(From Nicholas's point of view)
I was standing in front of my Chemistry classroom, still stuffing all mycrap in my backpack. Why do I have to carry so much crap with me? Scott, myclassmate asked me for lectures from previous week and just now I managedto get my notebook back in order. Bastard, he just took off and I have toget my notes back in the binder. Finally I managed to put my lecture noteswith my book in the bag. Now for other part...to get out other stuff- keysin one hand, cell phone and wallet in other...and a balancing act offishing out my iPod from its designated pocket in my backpack. I was stillnot sure what I was in the mood to listen on my way back home. Hmmm..."Yellowcard"? Sounds perfect. As I thumbed trough the menu, sure enough Imanaged to drop my keys. Aw, now I'm getting pissed already. It took meyears of working on myself to control my temper, and yet shit like this canput me in rage mode in no time whatsoever. I hunched over to fetch my keys,but when I tried to get up, I felt as truck ran into me. In a second, I wasback on the floor, this time flat on my back. What a fuck just happened? AsI scrambled onto my feet, I realized that there are actually two persons onthe floor- me and this other guy who was also trying to get up. In a splitsecond, my semi-well controlled anger become full-tilted rage. This assholeactually ran into me, obviously not looking where he is heading. I managedto hop on my feet just moment before him, giving me chance to see himbetter. Young, probably freshman. Jeans, sweatshirt, and backpack. Some ofhis crap still laying on the floor on the spot where he ran into me. Mediumbuilt, about 6 ft tall. Black hair. That is how far I got before kidfinally stood up and lifted his head and looked confusingly around and thanfinally at me.
At that moment I lost ability to speak. As a matter of fact, Idon't think I was able to do anything rationally at that time. That is onlyway how I can explain why I starred at this guy like an idiot.
More precisely, into his eyes.
Blue.
But not JUST blue. This dude had stormy blue eyes, kinda hard to actuallypick a shade, like they had two; no more that two shades to them. Crystalblue, dark blue, deep-sea blue, almost gray-blue, gorgeous blue...I feltall my anger evaporating as I was settling my self in immense depth of hiseyes. We had been staring at each other for couple uncomfortably longseconds. I realized that moments had passed when I figured that peoplearound us are giving us glances. Then I noticed subtle change in this guy'seyes, which thankfully had snapped me out of this trance.
What is going on with me?
Before I could open my mouth, guy stammered shaky apology:"-I...I am soosorry man...I was not looking...I normally don't run into people likethis..."
He was talking, but I was still starring into him like an idiot. Damn it,Nicholas, snap out of it!
I managed to raise my hand up to stop him. I needed a moment to boot up mysystem again. Engage brain, then speech- and in that order, Nicholas!
"-No, it's ok, really. You just caught me off balance, that's all...it canhappen to anybody." Luckily, I managed to de-trance myself further andregain civilized behavior. At least enough not to openly stare at this guyanymore. At least I was trying not to. Dark hair, pale skin, very nicebone structure of his face. His mouth was sloping downward in corners ofhis lips, giving him aristocratic appearance. Did I mention his eyes? Deep,stormy, get-lost-in-those eyes?
"...sorry...I'm running late for my first class..."
"Freshman?" I muttered, nodding my head towards his stuff that were splayedon the floor.
"Yeah...is it that obvious?' he asked worryingly.
"No...it just "Welcome To The Campus" package says it all" I laughed.
"Huh...I guess," he said sheepishly.
All of the sudden, I felt sorry for the guy. First day in school, andalready making enemies. But before I could even think about introducingmyself or making any further contact, he collected his papers in briskmotion and almost ran away. I couldn't not to stare down the corridor athis back as he hurried himself away from me. I shook my head. What justhappened? I guy ran into me and all of the sudden I cannot get him outta myhead? Weird.
Ow shit - is that my cell phone on the ground? Now I'm getting pissed offagain. I picked it up - a brand-new gouge right across the frontcover. Luckily for him, that freshman is already out of my site. I groaned,and stuffed cell in my pocket. Shit, I hate when inconcidered people areruining my stuff. Ok, can I go home now? I put earphones in my earsagain. "Yellowcard" had already played out "Lights and Sounds". Hm, now I'mthe mood for something else. The freshman episode and the scratched cellphone had placed me back into pissed-off mood so I switched toMetallica. Mmmm, how about "One"? Perfect.
As I made my way across the parking lot, my phone started to vibrate, so Ipulled it out. Seeing number that I did not recognize, I ignored thecall. I was not in the mood to talk to "wrong number" idiot. "Fade toBlack" was too perfect for my dark mood right about now and I was not aboutto interrupt it. I got into my car and went home.
End of chapter one
No comments:
Post a Comment
I'll be glad to hear from you.